Monday, June 18, 2012

Jamaica


I was born on April 19, 1982 on the wonderful island of Jamaica, and for twenty one years I live and experience most of what the island had to offer. As I grown as a man I have a greater appreciation for the land of my birth.

On August 6, 2012, Jamaica will be fifty years old, for the next fifty days leading up to her big day I will highlight significant, events and persons that have contributed to make Jamaica and  Jamaicans very proud and easily recognizable to the world. This is my top fifty and I do not speak for all Jamaicans, I am using this medium to share with the rest of the world my love for the most beautiful island in the world.
I will start from number 50 until I get to number 1, please enjoy and comments are more than welcome:

Number 50-  Jamaica.

Jamaica is an Island of the Greater Antilles and is 10,990 square kilometers (4,240 sq mi) in area; Jamaica is almost the size of Delaware. According to the (World Bank 2010) the population is 2,702,300, the currency is Jamaican Dollar, and Jamaica has 14 parishes which are divided by three counties: Cornwall, Middlesex and Surrey. The capital is Kingston, the life expectancy for woman is 76 years old and for men 71 years old (United Nations). The main language is English and the official and unofficial language is Patios, the island main source of food comes from agriculture (e.g. yam banana, cabbage potato, mango, apples, and pears. Etc) the beauty of Jamaica is the wonderful scenery and the beaches.

Life on this wonderful island gives you both joy and pain, joy in how bless you are to live somewhere where the people are nice, the weather is pretty consistent, the food is great and  the culture is very unique. Where the term “no problem man” is carried out on a daily bases and is like a prayer, no matter how hard things are the state of mind is things could be worse and we came over come this. This thinking came from our forth fathers and it is synonymous to almost every Jamaicans both home and abroad, to be a Jamaican is sheer bliss and many people from different places around the world would love the opportunity to say I am a Jamaican. Pain is areas of the island are underdeveloped and very little job creation is available, violence is one of the biggest pain and at times the violence is use to hide the other pain and hardship on the island, access to tertiary education is a huge problem, there is very little resource for high school kids to help them transition from high school.

Jamaica is the land of my birth and she is one of the world’s most beautiful creations, for the next fifty days I will take you guys on a journey that is full of knowledge and excitement, we will indeed know Jamaica a bit more after this. YEAH MAN.

This Video by Protoje gives you both the Joy and Pain of Jamaica. Bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment